Aims and Objectives
Social Studies aims to develop the following in students:
- An understanding of their identity as Pakistanis, with a global outlook.
- An appreciation for the multi-cultural society of Pakistan and the diversity of the world, showing a commitment to social cohesion.
- Recognition of the learner’s own identity as a proud Pakistani while maintaining respect for other identities.
- An understanding of the concept of citizenship (national/ natural, global and digital), along with their rights and responsibilities towards society.
- An understanding of the interdependence of various resources to produce economic stability in the country.
- A sense and awareness of creating a sustainable environment (conservation of resources), and an understanding of interdependence of limited resources in the world and its impact on global sustainability (SDG-4).
- A critical approach to history, understood in a chronological order, and as a systematic approach to accounting for the human past. The concepts of the beginning of civilizations, past events, their impact on present and future,
creates an opportunity for the student to have an awareness of large-scale consequences of decisions.
- An understanding of the structure, functions, rules and laws of government along with the Constitution of Pakistan and its importance.
- An understanding of the physical features of a region and their impact on culture and economic activity of the people of the land.
- An ability to use 21st century skills, i.e. the 4Cs (Critical Thinking, Creativity, Collaboration, and Communication)
- An attitude of positive social interaction among people and leadership qualities for positive social change.
STANDARD – 2
All students will learn the diversity of religion and cultures of Pakistan and their coexistence as a nation and enhance the concept of nationalism in them.
Grade IV –
- Students will be able to understand the concept of nation and nationalism Students will be able to define culture along with its components
- Students will be able to understand the cultural diversity of Pakistan regarding diverse cultural groups, their crafts, language, festivals, clothes, foods, customs etc. Students will be able to understand different religions in Pakistan and their impact on their various cultural groups
- Understand the norms and advantages of multicultural society and interfaith harmony
- Students will be able to understand various festivals of minorities Student will be able to define the term ‘means of communication’
- Student will be able to understand various means of communication, their advantages and disadvantages
STANDARD – 3
All students will identify the purpose of a government and describe the components of a democratic government i.e. legislature, executive and judiciary used to make decisions, seek consensus and resolve conflicts.
Grade IV – V
- Distinguish among local, provincial and national governments in Pakistan. Describe the way a government is organized.
- Describe the structure of the provincial and federal government.
- Describe the role of the institutions (legislature, executive and judiciary.). Understand the importance of the Constitution
- Understand the importance and relationship between rules and laws for a just and healthy environment in a country
- Understand the rights and responsibilities given to citizens under the Constitution.
- Describe the role and qualities of a leader
- Describe the formation of political parties and how they contest elections on the basis of their
STANDARD – 4
All students will identify the key characteristics and spirit of the Constitution of Pakistan and understand the rights and responsibilities of citizens at the local, provincial, national and global levels.
- Explain the responsibilities with respect to their rights and concept of global citizenship.
- Define the term Democracy.
- Understand the role of a person in a democratic society and identify unjust and illegal activities such as corruption.
All students will learn major historical events chronologically and enlist key historical events from pre-historic man and early civilizations to date. The students will also be able to recognize the international and national events and personalities.
- Describe the advent of civilizations, their timelines and the chronology of major historical events
- Learn about the contribution of various national and international personalities Understand the role of minorities in the creation and development of Pakistan Understand the role of various provinces in the creation of Pakistan
STANDARD – 6
All students will learn to read the globe/map, along with the ability to use it to enhance their understanding of geography, landforms and various physical features of Pakistan. They will understand the interaction between land and its people, weather, and climate. They will develop an awareness of the prevalence and management of natural disasters and the required safety measures. Students will be able to develop an understanding of population and its implications. Teacher will adapt standard and benchmarks according to individual needs of the students
- Locate all continents and major oceans on the globe/map
- Understand the concept of directions with the help of cardinal points and a compass for direction
- Apply the concept of “BOLTS” (Essentials of a map: B for Border, O for Orientation, L for Legend, T for Title and S for Scale)
- Compare features of land and the way people live
- Explain how human activities have changed the natural environment i.e. buildings dams, farming, deforestation, industries, etc.
- Explain how the weather and climate affect human activities and vice versa, such as through global warming, pollution, need for recycling (in line with plastic free initiatives), and conservation of water
- Become aware of natural disasters and take precautionary safety measures
- Define the terms ‘population’ and ‘high population growth,’ and explain the effects of imbalance between population and resources
- Explain the basic quality of life, focusing on Water, Sanitation and Hygiene (WASH)
STANDARD – 7
All students will describe how resources and choices regarding production, distribution and consumption of goods and services affect the well-being of the individual and society.
- Explain how people and societies make economic decisions
- Define the term inflation and how it effects the purchasing power of people Compare prices, quality and features of goods and services
- Identify opportunity costs in personal decision-making situations
- Define what makes an entrepreneur and the various types of entrepreneurs Understand what a business is and the various types of business
STANDARD – 8
- Describe the role of a government in imports and exports of goods and services Describe how decisions about resource-allocation affect the well-being of a society (with respect to taxes and government loans)
- Describe the challenges and benefits of trade for consumers
- Describe how banks play the role of intermediaries, by managing savings of individuals and providing finance to producers / manufacturers for the use of capital in their business
All students will describe the economic system of Pakistan, along with the role of banks in enhancing the trade activities for individuals and business