Social Studies Curriculum
SNC - Social Studies - Required Standards and SLOs (Download)
SNC - Social Studies - Suggested Guidelines (Download)
The Social Studies curriculum for Single National Curriculum 2021 is designed to impart students with skills of exploration, critical analysis, and problem-solving which will enable them to become productive citizens who make informed and reasoned decisions. Students will be provided with the opportunity to acquire knowledge of key civic concepts and ideas of effective and responsible citizenship at the local and global levels. The curriculum will also foster the development of a variety of skills such as critical thinking, objectivity, information gathering, processing, interpreting, and analyzing along with communication, problem-solving, and decision-making.
Drawing on the variety of local social, political, and economic examples, the curriculum seeks to ignite students’ curiosity to delve deeper to explore the complexities of human experiences as well as the political and socio-economic realities that they face in Pakistan. The curriculum also maintains a core focus on developing values of equality, social justice, fairness, honesty, diversity, and respect for self and the diverse opinions of others. It also encourages the study of current and persistent problems and issues, and the identification of innovative solutions.
While the curriculum aims to inculcate patriotism, faith, and the celebration of one’s identity, it also encourages tolerance and empathy towards others as required by Islam. Through inquiry and simulative learning activities, which model civil action, students are provided with the opportunity to obtain relevant knowledge and understanding of these issues and to develop necessary critical and reflective thinking skills.
Social Studies aims to develop the following in students:
- An understanding of their identity as Pakistanis, with a global outlook.
- An appreciation for the multi-cultural society of Pakistan and the diversity of the world, showing a commitment to social cohesion.
- Recognition of the learner’s own identity as a proud Pakistani while maintaining respect for other people and their identities.
- An understanding of the concept of citizenship (national/natural, global, and digital), along with their rights and responsibilities towards society.
- An understanding of the interdependence of various resources to produce economic stability in the country.
- A sense and awareness of creating a sustainable environment (conservation of resources), and an understanding of the interdependence of limited resources in the world and its impact on global sustainability (SDG-4).
- A critical approach to history introduced in chronological order as a systematic approach to account for the past. The concepts of the beginning of civilizations, past events, their impact on the present and future will allow students to develop a sensitivity to the large-scale consequences of their decisions.
- An understanding of the structures, functions, rules, and laws of government along with the Constitution of Pakistan and its importance.
- An understanding of the physical features of a region and their impact on the culture and economic activity of the people residing in that area.
- An ability to use 21st-century skills, i.e. the 4Cs (Critical Thinking, Creativity, Collaboration, and Communication).
- An attitude of positive social interaction among people and leadership qualities for positive social change.
1.2 CURRICULUM DEVELOPMENT
The main purpose of the SNC Social Studies curriculum is to instill necessary knowledge, skills, attitudes, and competencies to prepare students to become informed, concerned, and active national and global citizens. Learners will be equipped to understand all forms of human diversity and respect people irrespective of color, ability, disability, gender, and social/economic status. They will develop the ability to think critically, consider different ideas with an open mind and respect different opinions. Students will develop a sense of commitment and belonging to their community and country; they will understand the importance of being engaged in societal concerns because of the potential impact they may have on society as a whole. It will prepare students to participate in society as responsible and productive citizens equipped with 21st-century skills.
The Social Studies curriculum contributes to students’ development as educated citizens through the achievement of the following goals. Students will learn to:
- Fully understand and appreciate the range of human diversity.
- Develop competencies needed for participation in a democratic society: considering multiple perspectives, respecting different values and points of view, gathering and critically analyzing information, making informed decisions, and effectively communicating their own views while maintaining civility and social order.
- Develop an understanding of connections between the past, present, and future; how people, events, and trends have shaped the evolution of societies, especially their own. A detailed understanding of one’s past and present including a critical appreciation of one’s history and culture.
- Develop an understanding of the relationship between human society and the environment along with an awareness of the impact of human activities on our planet.
- Develop an understanding of the rights and responsibilities of citizens and the democratic system of government, including how decisions are made at the individual, local, provincial and national levels.
- Develop an understanding of how economic systems work, their place in an interconnected global economy, and the trade-offs involved in balancing different economic interests.
- Develop an understanding of entrepreneurship (self-employment) and its related activities, such as engaging in problem-solving activities, becoming active members of society, and taking responsibility for improving the living standards of the people of Pakistan.